Sunday, May 25, 2008

Mike Birbiglia: not awkward


Mike & Bear, originally uploaded by Birbigs.

Dear Mike,

I saw an ad in Time Out for Central Park Summer Stage last week with your name listed, which led me to look up your tour schedule online. It turned out that we already have tickets to see Sloan at Bowery Ballroom that night, but it also turned out that you were going to be at Union Hall Sunday night. And it also turned out that Eileen and Justin were available Sunday night and willing to take our word for it that you are crazy funny.

You did not disappoint! I laughed so hard that I almost fell down (we had never been to UH before and didn't know we could have come early and had seats). I'm not sure about the rest of the audience, but all four of us agree about marriage having "jumped the shark". (Personally, I got married for the health insurance, another institution which may have jumped the shark.)

Seeing you at Stand Up New York was one of the first things John and I ever did in New York; we went with our friends Jim and Sommer, who wanted to go because they saw you on tv, maybe on The Late Show? Anyway, you were great, we laughed a lot, and we felt like real New Yorkers when we got the enormous bill for the lousy drinks.

I know you have the Google Alert out for yourself, so if you read this, I'd just like you to know that you rocked the house, and looked good doing it.

Thanks for a great night,
Bee

No comments: