Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Survivor Oheo Gulch

roadtohana

The road to Hana was long and winding (sing it with me) but thanks to drugs and more drugs (thanks again, John's co-worker!) I was calm and nausea-free.

We hightailed it past Hana to Kipahulu, the coastal area of Haleakala National Park. After a lunch of pb&j, chips and water we picked up at Safeway in Lahaina, we moseyed off down the short trail to the Seven Sacred Pools, which were far, far less interesting than what was happening where the surf was coming in.

kulcapointblowhole

tidalpoolfish

The breaking waves created little tidal pools in the lava outcrop, trapping tiny and not-so-tiny fishes. It felt very perilous to be in the splash zone down there, but it was probably perfectly safe. After a while, we turned around and headed back to the trailhead to start our hike up the Pipiwai Trail.

I'm not going to lie to you. I wasn't sure we would make it. And by we I mean John and I, because Jim and Sommer were just fine. About halfway there, we found ourselves here:

bambooforest

This should have been serene and peaceful, as the towering bamboo rustled and tocked in the upper level breezes. But it felt more like this:

bambooterror

Obviously, we lived to tell the tale. Was it worth it, you ask?

waimokufalls

I'd say so.

No comments: