Thursday, August 07, 2008

Coiffed and confused

I made it to Williamsburg for a haircut this morning and boy, do I feel better. Why do I always let it go so long? My layers had become... indistinct.

Speaking of indistinct... could someone help me articulate the difference between craft and art? It came up in my meeting with my career counselor today, and I don't think I made a convincing argument for the distinction. I recently took the Meyers-Briggs and got really hung up in the word pairs section, trying to choose between make and create.

It's not that I can't create, but I don't enjoy the pressure to constantly generate new ideas. It's not that I'm without vision, but I enjoy finicky details and I like getting my hands dirty. I do absolutely love developing an ingenious solution to a technical problem, and the research and planning that might be involved. I'm not comfortable in the limelight, but I value recognition from my peers. I feel the pressure to be a creator, but I think deep down I'm a maker, and making may be what will make me happy.

No comments: